Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

R&R

I have a difficult time relaxing.  I constantly feel like I need to be doing something even if I don't have any pressing deadlines or obligations.  So, for these first few days of spring break, I am making it a point to chill out and do the things I enjoy.

Normally, I set an alarm every day.  Even on weekends.  I like to have a jam-packed schedule.  Last night, however, I didn't set my alarm and I ended up sleeping a full nine hours!  That is unheard of for me.

Even with so much rest, I still had trouble getting out of bed.  This brings me to my next goal for spring break: kicking my caffeine addiction.  During a typical day, I have 3-4 cups of coffee.  While I love coffee, I think I need to make it less of a daily crutch and more of a daily delight.  I doubt I will ever stop drinking that first cup o' joe in the morning, but the afternoon pick-me-ups can hopefully become a thing of the past.

After downing my glass of water and coffee and noshing on a few crackers spread with almond butter and raisins, I set out for my run.  I wasn't sure how far I really felt like going, so I went by feel.  I ran down a backroad near my apartment, which led to a hilly park near campus.

I ran to the peak and back down to my apartment for a total of 6.7 miles at a comfortable 8:30 pace.  My knee and IT Band were acting up a bit due to the sloping, hilly paths.  The last thing I need right now is an injury, so I will probably just do some yoga tonight and take it easy on my run tomorrow.

After showering and eating a relatively strange breakfast of spaghetti squash, broccoli, tempeh, hearts of palm, celery, and pasta sauce (gotta listen to my cravings!), my roommates and I went to DSW and Forever 21 to celebrate spring break and do some shopping!
Breakfast: spaghetti squash, broccoli, hearts of palm, celery, and pasta sauce

My new shoes!

How do people walk in these things?!


I forgot how nice it was to just wander through a mall.  These past ten weeks I have been in a complete bubble.  I can tell you all about the Russian economy, but probably nothing about spring fashion trends.

We came back to the apartment and I made myself a nice lunch featuring more Forks Over Knives recipes.
Half an apple, carrots and hummus, vegetable biryani,
and a bowl of greens topped with Fava Bean Salad
While my stomach was full, my mind was not satisfied.  I ended up following this lunch up with quite a number of crackers, raisins, and almond butter.  This combination is killer.  At least I am almost out of crackers, so maybe I won't overdo it in the future.

Stuffed to the brim, I forced myself to sit on the couch and read my new book for the remainder of the afternoon.  Caffeine withdrawal hit hard at around 3, but I pushed through by drinking an obscene amount of decaf coffee and tea.

Now, I'm waiting for my friend to pick me up so we can go and catch up before she leaves to study "abroad" on the east coast.  I'm going to miss her :(

No comments:

Post a Comment